Sunday, January 4, 2015

Butterfly Obsession

In my opinion, the Butterfly Basics stamp set and the Butterfly Thinlits Dies from the 2015 Stampin' Up! Occasions Catalog are a MUST HAVE! You will be able to order them from me starting January 6.

I came home from work today, determined to try out the other butterfly thinlits. Yesterday I worked with the large swallowtail thinlit with fabulous results. Today I am equally proud of my card creation, though I did suffer some mishaps along the way!

Linda Vich Creates: Butterfly Obsession

To begin with, I used Versamark with the Something Lacy background stamp on a piece of vellum. I heat embossed it using Gold Embossing Powder.

I mounted the vellum, using strategically placed glue dots, onto a piece of Blackberry Bliss card stock.

I then used the Chalk Talk Framelits to die cut a tag from Sahara Sand card stock and proceeded to adapt it into a ribbon slide with the help of the Tag Topper Scalloped Punch. You can see a tutorial for how to do it in my Making It Sparkle post though in that tutorial, I used a book plate from the Apothecary Accents Framelits instead of a tag from the Chalk Talk Framelits.

I stamped the ribbon slide with a sentiment from the Butterfly Basics stamp set. To do this, I first inked the stamp with Versamark and then with Blackberry Bliss.

(It was at this point that my stamp pad flew apart! Making a grab for it caused me to get inky fingers which I proceeded to add to my newly stamped ribbon slider! After swabbing myself down, I cut another ribbon slider and stamped the sentiment again. I then followed a tutorial by Diana Gibbs to put my stamp pad back together again!)

Linda Vich Creates: Butterfly Obsession
My stamp pad after getting it back together!
Linda Vich Creates: Butterfly Obsession
What my hands looked like!
After stamping, I heat embossed it with Clear Embossing Powder. I inked the stamp with Versamark first because I find it helps to pick up more of the embossing powder than the other ink by itself.

I used a Sponge Dauber to ink the ribbon slider with Blackberry Bliss and then threaded Blackberry Bliss ribbon through it. I placed some Dimensionals on the back of the tag and adhered the ribbon to the back of the matte using Sticky Strip.

I used Fuse Fast to adhere the matte to a Sahara Sand card front.

This led to my second mishap . . . I got the matte on crooked! This happens to me quite frequently.

Luckily, I have a product called Un-Du in my toolbox to help me out of this type of jam. This stuff is the BEST thing you will ever buy for your own crafting endeavors. It easily allows you to separate glued papers and photos and then dries very quickly to allow you to proceed with your project. No one would ever know that you had to remove anything because there is no trace of the Un-Du left behind! Click on the picture to order it from Amazon. I buy two bottles so I always have a backup when the first bottle is empty.



Next, I used the middle size butterfly from the Butterfly Thinlits to die cut a butterfly from Blackberry Bliss card stock. I did this according to the WONDERFUL tutorial by Deb Valder where she shows you how to use dryer sheets to get even the most intricate dies to easily release. Believe me, you will be AMAZED and thankful that you watched the video tutorial!

After die cutting, I inked up half of the butterfly with Versamark and heat embossed it with Clear Embossing Powder. I repeated the process with the other half to produce a high gloss butterfly.

Linda Vich Creates: Butterfly Obsession
You can really see the high gloss shine here!

I used the butterfly stamp from Butterfly Basics to stamp with Versamark on a piece of Sahara Sand. I heat embossed it with Gold Embossing Powder and then die cut it with the matching die.

For each butterfly, I bent up the wings a little from the body. I adhered the smaller butterfly to the larger, and then the larger butterfly to the card front using glue dots.

To complete the card, I added three pearls to the body of the smaller butterfly.

Linda Vich Creates: Butterfly Obsession


Linda Vich Creates: Butterfly Obsession


Despite my mishaps, I think my card is splendid! What do you think? Let me know in the comments below.

Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog

2 comments:

Janine said...

What an absolutely stunning card, I love it, it is so rich looking and lovely. I'm going to CASE this one today. I hope not to have the troubles you had. One word of advice on removing something that you just stuck down and it will save you a little $. Just put some heat on it with your heat gun and it will loosen right up and then you can slip a very thin piece of plastic like that that comes on the end of the un-do bottle to lift it up. Just be careful not to burn your paper and never do this on photos. Keep up the great work.

Linda Vich said...

Thanks for the lovely comment, Janine! I'd love to see how your card turns out. Thank as well for the great tip about heating to remove stuck paper.