Thursday, February 4, 2016

Life Is A Beautiful Ride For Global Design Project #021

Today I wanted to design a card for the Global Design Project because I really liked the colors. Or at least two of them . . . Wisteria Wonder is not one of my favorites because I find it is a kind of watered down color that can take on a real gray tone. However, I can happily play with Bermuda Bay and Melon Mambo!

The Have A Cuppa DSP Stack uses this color combination so I thought I would be able to use something from there to help me out.

I started by using my MISTI to stamp the Volkswagen, from the Beautiful Ride Stamp Set, using Basic Black Archival ink on a piece of watercolor paper. The MISTI allowed me to restamp to get a good black outline as it is often hard to get a good first stamp on watercolor paper. I then stamped it again using Versamark so that I could heat emboss it using Clear Stampin' Emboss Powder. I repeated this process for the stack of suitcases.

I used my Aqua Painter along with reinkers to paint the car and then used my Heat Tool to ensure it was completely dry. I cut out the car and suitcases using both scissors and my Fiskars Fingertip Craft Knife. This knife is a wonderful tool and it makes it easy to control because you actually wear it on your finger! I'm looking forward to receiving my order of the Fiskars Reverse-Action Fingertip Tweezers which are designed the same way.

I cut a Melon Mambo card base for a 5.5 x 5.5" card size. I chose a Bermuda Bay patterned paper from the Have A Cuppa DSP Stack and cut a matte to go on the card base. I adhered it with Fast Fuse Adhesive.

I chose a 4.5" square of Thick Whisper White for the front matte and cut a very thin Basic Black matte to go beneath it.

To work in a bit more color, I decided to "flick" paint droplets onto the white matte prior to attaching the car and suitcases. I used the reinkers again but made sure to use a paintbrush with lots of water on it so that the ink would fly off easily. After using the three colors for the card challenge, Bermuda Bay, Melon Mambo and Wisteria Wonder, I dried the matte with my heat tool.

I adhered the white matte to the black matte and then used Dimensionals to attach it to the patterned paper matte.

I cut a .75" strip of Basic Black and flagged one end using the Banner Triple Punch. I used my MISTI to stamp the sentiment using Versamark and then heat embossed it using White Stampin' Emboss Powder. I used Fast Fuse Adhesive to attach it to the matte.

The car was adhered above the sentiment banner using Dimensionals. I then cut a length of twine from the Baker's Twine Combo Pack and separated out the black strand. I used it to tie around the stack of suitcases, mimicking the lines that were on the stamp. I then adhered the suitcases above the car.

To complete the card, I used Copic markers to color three pearls and adhered them to the end of the sentiment banner.


I am entering this card in the Global Design Project #021.

#gdp021

Hope your "ride" is a good one today!



8 comments:

Donna Ellis said...

Linda, thanks for explaining how you put this great card together! I like that it is suitable for just about anyone - FABULOUSLY FUN colors - and your shading is awesome - I love everything about this scene! hugs, de

Linda Vich said...

Thanks so much Donna! It was a fun card to make! Hope you have a great weekend!

Paula Dobson said...

I can't stop looking at this amazing card Linda! I am in love! Your water colouring is fabulous, as is the splatter background. I love your solution to using a colour you don't like - minimal! Thanks for playing at Global Design Project with us this week.

Linda Vich said...

Thanks for the kind words Paula!

Cheryll Miller said...

Love the vibrancy of your card Linda! Your V-Dub just jumps off the page. xx

Linda Vich said...

Thank you Cheryll!

Kylie Bertucci said...

Such a cool card Linda!! I am loving you playing along with us at the GDP! Love how you used the colours. Just awesome. Thank you so much for playing along with this week's Global Design Project challenge! We appreciate your support of the GDP challenge blog.

Linda Vich said...

Thanks Kylie!