Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Botanicals For A Friend

These Stampin Up Botanicals keep calling my name!

We weren't too busy at Walmart yesterday so I got the chance to sketch out a few designs and color combos to try. One of the sketches was for today's card!

I started by cutting a 5 x 7" card base from Kraft card stock and then cut a 5 x 7" matte from the corrugated Kraft paper and adhered it to the card front with Fast Fuse Adhesive.

I used the Botanical Builders Framelits to die cut flowers and greenery although it was actually black and white! I inked up the edges of the red flowers using Basic Black Archival ink and a sponge dauber and then used my McGill Paper Blossom Tool Kit on these as well as the other die cuts.

I played around with my arrangement a bit, taking pictures as I went, until I was satisfied that I had a balanced design. I then added the centre parts to my flowers, including pearls.

Next, I removed all the flowers, leaving the greenery in place and one by one I adhered them using Multi Medium Matte.

Just last week, I had finally received my 3.8 oz jar of the stuff and I had completely filled my Darice Ultrafine Applicator Bottle with the medium in hopes that I would actually be able to squeeze some out! I have had great difficulty with this medium but I am persevering since no one else seems to be having trouble with it and because it dries matte so if you make a bit of a mess, no one will know!

Everything was going fine until I attempted to add glue to my last leaf. As I was squeezing glue out onto the leaf, the cap exploded from the bottle and I got a very large blob on my card, the leaf, and on stuff lying next to my workspace! Needless to say, I uttered a few choice words about the situation but remembered to snap some photos quickly before cleaning up!




Luckily, I was able to salvage my project (again due to the matte factor of the medium) with the help of a stiff piece of card stock and a damp paper towel. I die cut another black leaf and glued it in and then adhered the flowers with Dimensionals.

Note to self: In the future, don't apply glue directly over your project if you can help it!

I cut a strip of Real Red card stock and glued it to the card front and then cut a strip of the 1 1/4" Burlap Ribbon. I trimmed off the sides and then pulled threads out of the ribbon, saving them for later, and frayed the edges a bit. I used Fast Fuse to adhere it to the card stock strip.

I stamped the sentiment from the Awesomely Artistic Stamp Set using Versamark on Basic Black. I heat embossed it with White Stampin' Emboss Powder and then topped it with the little frame stamp from the Rose Wonder Stamp Set, embossing it as well. I die cut the sentiment using the die from the Rose Garden Thinlits. It was adhered with Dimensionals over the burlap.

From the threads that I had set aside, I made three bunches of two burlap threads, slightly offsetting one, and tied a knot. After trimming the ends, I used glue dots to adhere the knots under the flowers to add a little texture to my flower arrangement.

For the inside of the card, I cut a matte from the now retired Naturals White card stock. Using Real Red, I stamped tiny flowers from the Botanicals For You Stamp Set. You can get this free with a $60 order during Sale-a-Bration! I inked the edges with Basic Black and then adhered the matte with Fast Fuse Adhesive to complete my card.



I love the way the red, black and white look together with the Kraft card stock!

What have you created with the Botanicals? Drop me a comment below to let me know!



7 comments:

Donna Ellis said...

LOL!! I have experienced the same type of explosion! The lesson learned is that the glues cannot be even a tiny bit thick.

Your card is stunning! Full of drama and color-rich contrast! Beautiful floral centerpiece. Love the corrugation! Hugs, de

Linda Vich said...

Thanks Donna!

Betty said...

Linda, I have experienced the same problem. I switched to using Fineline Appicators, they come in three tip sizes depending on the medium you want to put in the bottle. Perfect application every time. Love your card. Betty

Linda Vich said...

Thanks so much Betty! I appreciate your advice. Do you know which size I should use with the Multi Medium Matte?

Doreen said...

Linda, I love your card. The colors and texture combination are stunningly beautiful! I want to make one for all my special friends. Thanks for explaining how you made the label. That is a cool way to achieve a layered look.

Linda Vich said...

Thank you for your lovely comments Doreen!

Anonymous said...

Your card is absolutely gorgeous.